Fashion or apparel merchandising graduates have many opportunities for employment in the fashion and design industries. Because apparel merchandising courses include a healthy amount of business training, many graduates seek employment in management or buying positions. Likewise, many graduates seek employment in the design phase of the business as well as in marketing these designs. An apparel merchandising degree and a good portfolio can open many doors in the fashion and design industry. There are many fashion designing institutes in Delhi, which offer merchandising courses in Delhi.
What is a Retail Store Manager or Buyer?
Retail businesses such as clothing stores employ buyers or managers to manage store inventories, interface with suppliers and manage purchasing budgets. They are also store managers who are responsible for selecting suppliers, determining which fashions the store will carry, setting delivery dates and evaluating the amount of inventory to purchase based on seasonal needs, emerging styles and projected supply and demand. Buyers are trained to forecast fashion trends, analyse value versus cost and assess competition.
Responsibilities of a Retail Store Manager/Buyer
Typical responsibilities of the job include:
- Recruiting, training, supervising and appraising staff
- Managing budgets
- Maintaining statistical and financial records
- Dealing with customer queries and complaints
- Overseeing pricing and stock control
- Maximising profitability and setting/meeting sales targets, including motivating staff to do so
- Ensuring compliance with health and safety legislation
- Preparing promotional materials and displays
- Liaising with head office
Salaries, benefits and promotional prospects of clothing retail store managers are generally good, with retail chains like Pantaloons, Brand Factory, Shoppers stop, Lifestyle, Reliance Trends etc. offering the highest incomes and the best opportunities for advancement, including possibilities of employment within India.